Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Weekend Forecast: High -1

Mugsy 7 Months Old
Thinking about peeing in the sub-zero temperatures.

I am dreading the weekend knowing we are in for a serious cold snap here in Minneapolis. With the average high temperature in the negatives and the wind chill about -10 to -20 we'll be spending all our time inside. It hurts to breath air that cold. The dogs will sit by the door and whine to go out but then not go out and sneak to the basement and pee. I don't blame them; it's just annoying and can lead to cabin fever for me. I think some critters have decided to hunker down in my garden shed in the backyard, so the dogs may decide to go out and hunt for a few seconds. If the bunnies are smart they will hide elsewhere.

I have lined up a few things to keep us busy. I will be making some homemade dog food I found on the Old Boston Chat Board called AMBROSIA. It is the formula used by the late Charles McCaughin’s (pronounced McAnn) at his “Lovin’ Hands Bostonetts” Kennel in Oklahoma. You might consider McCaughin as one of the founding fathers of the OBB bloodline. He breed his dogs back to the BT standard of 1935 when they were free of heath problems. He was not allowed to register his Bostons with the AKC. Most of his stock went to the Goodtimes Kennel in Ontario, Cananda when he passed. You can learn more about the breeding lines here; it sounds like they will be posting more pictures of McCauglin and the the history of his kennel later this year.

Then I also have materials lined up to make inexpensive no-sew dog toys that Mugsy loves and is friendly for his unique mouth. Has anyone ever noticed how large OBB mouths are? They are like Muppet's! Especially when they yawn. I will post instructions later.

Until next post,
Naomi & Mugsy

No comments:

ASPCA Anti-Cruelty Resource Center